Watch the 2011 MALDEF Latino State of the Union!
The 2011 MALDEF Latino State of the Union featured an engaging discussion between MALDEF President and General Counsel, Thomas A. Saenz and other nationally-recognized leaders about major issues that will be of significant concern to the Latino community this year. Issues discussed included education, the Citizenship Clause of the U.S. Constitution, protection of voting rights, redistricting, immigration, health care and nutrition, LGBT-based discrimination, marriage equality, as well as other topics. Saenz delivered the keynote address for the event.
MALDEF live streamed the Latino State of the Union, providing nationwide access to this important and timely conversation!
Share the link to this video with your friends and family.
"MALDEF hopes that the Latino State of the Union will spark discussion among policymakers and community leaders about the issues that are of greatest concern to the Latino community. We are grateful to all of the participants for providing such a powerful launch to ongoing discussion."
- Thomas A. Saenz, MALDEF President and General Counsel
The moderator for the 2011 MALDEF Latino State of the Union was Ray Suarez, senior correspondent on PBS' The NewsHour and host of Destination Casa Blanca on HITN TV (The Hispanic Information and Telecommunications Network, Inc.).
Program participants included:
- Thomas B. Reston, Chairman of the Board, MALDEF
- Russell Roybal, Deputy Executive Director of External Relations, National Gay and Lesbian Taskforce;
- Brent Wilkes, National Executive Director, LULAC;
- Maria Teresa Kumar, Executive Director, Voto Latino;
- Lisa Pino, Deputy Administrator of the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program;
- Nina Perales, Director of Litigation, MALDEF;
- James Ferg-Cadima, Regional Counsel, MALDEF; and
HITN TV will be rebroadcasting MALDEF's Latino State of the Union on February 24 alongside a special presentation of interviews with panelists.*
To hear more of the discussion on major issues impacting the Latino community, watch the video of MALDEF's 2011 Latino State of the Union here. We would love to know what you thought of the discussion.
Donate today to support MALDEF. Your support will help MALDEF continue innovative programs like the Latino State of the Union and the upcoming Latino State of the State of California.
* HITN was established in 1983 as a non-profit organization with a mission to advance the educational, cultural, and socio-economic aspirations of Hispanics in the U.S. and Puerto Rico. HITN, a unique network that "Educates and Entertains," offers television programs, genres, and topics that enrich U.S. Latino families with knowledge, culture, information and enjoyment.